Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Hedgewitch Cottage


 The Hedgewitch

Green Witchcraft or Hedge Witchcraft is a tradition that is literally centuries old, as Green and Hedge Witches were the herbalists and midwives of old. They use their expertise in local herb-lore to medicinally treat their family and neighbors in order to combat a variety of illnesses and to maintain or restore natural health and vitality.

Followers of this Tradition generally let their intuition guide them and follow no specific dogma or creed. There is no standard set of precepts or
formal Initiation. 
A “Hedge witch” is someone who does solitary magic focused on nature and its aspects. Hedgecraft is possibly based on traditional European witchcraft. There is some dispute about the history of Hedgecraft, as with nearly all magical traditions. In general, however, Hedgecraft is believed to be based loosely on the ancient practices of folk healers, herbalists, and wise women/men, as well as the traditions of herbalism and shamanic practices. A Hedgewitch, as well as working with herbs and plants, frequently travels into the spiritual world, functioning as seer, guide to spirits, and healer.

Thought you might like a little background on what a Hedgewitch is.  



When I last posted I had begun to work on a front door for the cottage because I didn't like the one that came with the kit.   You wouldn't think so much time would go into making one tiny door.  But it did...  and I'm still not sure if I like it or will use it.  Please tell me what you think.

I cut the door out of balsa wood.  I then drew with pencil the lines of "boards" to make it look like it is made of boards.  Like I said, I'm still not sure if I like it and I may completely do another door before it's all said and done.
 I used this nifty little engraver gadget that I found at ... believe it or not - Harbor Freight Tools.  I've had it for a while and am finally getting to use it!  It worked wonderfully to put the grooves deep enough into the door.


I stained the door in multiple colors and weathered it just a bit.  I may do more to it later.
 



I decided I wanted a small window in the front door for my hedge witch to look out of should someone come visiting unexpectedly.  Just used tiny bits of wood and wooden coffee stir sticks to put the window together along with some vinyl plastic for the "glass".  Later I plan to hang some tiny curtains inside that window. 


I already had colonial looking metal hinges that I had to paint black.  I made the front door handle from a jewelry finding, painted it black.  And the inside door handle is a black slide bolt handle that will be put on later - I already had one of those too!  So far I haven't had to buy a thing to make my door with.  I just gathered things from my stash and went to work!





For now this is my almost finished door...  maybe.  I have to look at it a while and decide if I like it or not.

I'm staining the floors with a stain marker to help it appear like wood boards.  Later I'll do some more faux finishing on the floors to make them look like boards.



I also wanted to show a great gift that Gail gave me for Christmas  - a big box of acrylic paints!!!  These will definitely come in handy in finishing the projects I have in mind for this cottage!!



I'll keep working hard on my cottage and also I've started making items that will go inside to fill it, some of which I will be offering for sale in my Etsy Shop as I complete them.

Thanks for stopping by for a spell and come back often! 



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Donna! I'll keep posting progress!!

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous of how your door came out! I've just made grooves to resemble planks with my front door and it came out nicely; that's such a great technique. Anyway, I just found your blog and can't wait to browse through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! Stop by when you can, never know when a give-away will occur and I'll be posting new updates regularly!

      Delete
  3. a mi me parece que esa puerta esta muy bien, ese regalo esta muy bien y seguro que le sacaras mucho partido a todas esas pinturas

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Door looks great. Looking forward to seeing your project progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Debbie for the compliment and for following along!!

    ReplyDelete