Monday, January 14, 2013

The Walls Are Up!

The walls of the Hedgewitch Cottage are up and it really wasn't half as hard as I was scared it would be.  So far it is all going together very well.  As you can see in the picture below, I have decided not to punch out the long windows on both sides of the door.  So I put a thin line of glue along the inside of these to help keep them from "popping out" at a later date.  In this picture it all looks rather unassuming, but just give it time!  ;)

I also decided that the little bay side room that came with the kit just wouldn't do, after all, a proper witch of any sort must have a place to store all of her supplies!  Below you see the narrow strip of wood that came with the kit on the right, on the left is the larger piece of wood that will replace it - 5 3/4 inches wide.  This should give me plenty of room to sit a hutch up against that wall on the inside when the time comes.

Now I have a proper side room for the cottage, plenty of space for all sorts of items.

I decided that I wanted the outside of the cottage to look like stucco walls, so I am covering it all in a light spackling paste with a painters knife.  As you see below I was careful to cover the windows on each side of the door very well, so you'll never know they were even there!

After all spackling was completely dried (I waited about 8 hours) I then spray painted the whole house with the stone textured paint.  I did not spackle or paint the area where I will be putting the chimney.  That will all be done later.  It's hard to see in the pictures but the textured spray paint gave it a great finish and I'm very happy with it!

I also sprayed a very light coat of the stone textured paint all on the inside walls too because I wanted them to have an uneven old appearance.  Later I will paint with a sponge to add depth of color.  So now I am at the point that I want to work on the windows and of course, wouldn't you know it, I don't like the windows that came with the kit!  LOL!  So I'm making my own.  I've decided on a design and am using 1/8 inch square wood and large square toothpicks of all things! LOL!  But in the dry-fit below I think it's coming together quite well.   The toothpicks are a great find at a dollar store - perfect size for many miniature projects!

So this is the point I'm at for now.  I'll be staining wood and placing the windows on the front.  I still have to make a bay window for the side room and will show you that later.  

Thanks a bunch for stopping by and visiting for a while!  More progress to come!


  1. I've been dying to use that stone finish spray paint, but haven't had a project to use it on yet. The cottage is looking amazing so far!

    1. Oh that stone texture paint is so cool! I love the way it looks and it seems to be making the whole structure even more sturdy!

  2. Me encanta el acabado de la fachada y el interior.
    Una gran idea hacer tus propias ventanas.
    Va a ser un casita preciosa, Hagatha esta deseando coger ideas para que yo le haga la pobrecita esta deseando tener una propia jejeje
    besitos ascension

    1. Congratulations Ascension! I hope your Hagatha witch likes her new kitty! It will be there with you soon!

  3. I like what you are doing with the cottage, I'm glad to have found your blog too!